1 The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Written by Brian Selznick

Reviewed by Skylah W. (age 11)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Hugo lives in the walls of a busy train station where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. He fixes the clocks in the train station and keeps the gears going. His father died in a fire at a museum because he was locked in a closet while making an automatron and he couldn't get out. He is hiding so the station inspector doesn't ship him away to an ophanage. He meets a girl and they accomplish something very hard. You'll have to read the book to figure out the rest.

Do you like a book that is long? I don't but I picked up this book thinking it was long but it is mostly pictures. When I started reading it I loved it because it was short and such a good story. I don't even have a favorite part because all of it was good. I thought Hugo was the best character because he was really mysterious. All the pictures are black and white but it tells most of the story. It is a chapter book that won the Caldecott, an illustration award and that is unusual.

I think you should read this book. It is amazing, mysterious, extraordinary and puts you on the edge of your seat. If you ever decide to pick up a book I would get this one.