1 Thank You, Mr. Falker

Thank You, Mr. Falker

Written by Patricia Polacco

Illustrated by Patricia Polacco

Reviewed by Jordanna S. (age 9)

Thank You, Mr. Falker

”She just knew she was dumb.” That’s how Patricia Polacco felt in the third grade when she realized she couldn’t read like the other kids. Thank You Mr. Falker is about how a beloved teacher took the time to teach Patricia Polacco how to read. When Patricia was a little girl she dreamed of reading. But when she tried she could not do it…the words looked like wiggling shapes and when she tried to sound out the words the kids in her class would laugh at her. When Patricia’s mom gets a teaching job in California, Patricia hopes things will be different, but the kids turn out to be just as mean until……Patricia’s new teacher Mr. Falker sees that she can’t read and tells her to stay after school. To see what happens next read the book!!!!

My favorite part of this book is when Mr. Falker helps Patricia read. I can relate to Patricia because I also have difficulty reading. I love the illustrations in the book they are so vivid. My favorite picture is the grandma and Patricia on the grass. I like this part because the grandma says, “We will all eventually let go of the grass and go where the stars are”. And the next day the grandma lets go of the grass and lifts to heaven. This is so sweet and sad at the same time. It reminds me of my grandma lifting off the grass.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes stories that are true and about somebody’s life. Patricia Polacco said this “I saw Mr. Falker some thirty years later at a wedding I walked up to him and introduced myself. At first he had difficulty placing me then I told him, who I was and how he has changed my life so many years ago.” Anyone can relate to Patricia Polacco books because they are about growing up.