1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Aelysia S. (age 9)

Number the Stars

Annemarie Johansen and her best friend, Ellen Rosen, were running down the street to practice for the race they have every Friday when they got stopped by two Nazi soldiers roaming the streets. The soldiers are relocating the Jews. Since Ellen is one of the Jews, she has to pretend to be part of the Johansen family. Soldiers walked in the Johansen family’s house in the middle of the night while the girls were asleep, and talked to the parents. The next morning, they went to Uncle Henrik’s. The Rosen family and some other Jews had to sneak out of Denmark but they dropped something important and Annemarie had to go on a dangerous mission to get it back to them. Will she make it back?

I liked this book a lot because it was filled with adventure. My favorite character is Annemarie. I like Annemarie because she will do anything for her best friend, even go on a dangerous mission to save her. It made me wonder if Annemarie will make it back from her adventure. This book made me think about how the Jews were treated during World War II.

I would recommend this book to anyone who like adventure books. People who like to read about friendship may also like this book. Read to see if the Rosen’s make it out of Denmark safely.