Hank the Cowdog: The Case of the Missing Cat

Written by John R. Erickson • Illustrated by Gerald L. Holmes

Reviewed by Ayden W. (age 8)

This story is about Hank, a dog, trying to get his job back from Pete, a cat, after he lost it in a bet with Pete. Hank talked to Drover, the crazy, mindless dog, to get some ideas. Drover says some funny things, but really has no good ideas. Hank does get some good ideas, though, from some of the things Drover says. Hank has some hilarious adventures, and he finally gets his job back. I like this book because it was really funny. The cowboy reminded me of my grandfather because they were both cowboys. My favorite part was when Drover thought the fence ate the rabbit. It was really funny! This book reminds me of the Three Investigators books because it was a mystery book, but this book was funnier. I recommend this book because it was funny. I think my dad would like this book because he sort of likes to figure things out. I think people, including my dad, would like chapter 3 because itís the funniest chapter in the book. Itís where Drover says, ďIf those cowboys hadnít been feeding those posts, they wouldnít have eaten all them rabbits.Ē
Ayden W. is a student in Ms. G.'s 2nd Grade Class
2009-2010