1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Madison S. (age 10)

Number the Stars

Do you know what it was like in World War II? I read a book called Number the Stars. Annemarie and her friend, Ellen, face difficulties in the book. Ellen, Annemarie’s best friend, is Jewish and so are her mom and dad. If you like suspense, then this is the book for you. When I read this book I learned about bravery because they face a lot of scary things in this book. Most of the people in the book meet up with the Nazi soldiers, and that scared me a lot. Some of the people in the book had to keep the truth from their loved ones for their own good. It must have been hard for them to lie like that. I didn’t like those parts at all!

I liked this book because it had a lot of suspense. I loved it because it kept me hanging at each chapter. It was great! I liked the author’s style of writing because she wrote with a lot of emotion and feelings. My felt sad and angry because of what the Nazis did to the Jewish people. I couldn’t believe that people could do this to others!

I would recommend this book to 4th graders and up. It might be too hard for 3rd grader and younger because they might not understand it. It taught me a lesson about being brave. Maybe you will learn a lesson, too.