1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Blake C. (age 9)

Number the Stars

“Halt!” yelled a Nazi soldier on the sidewalk. If you like to read historical fiction books, then this is the book for you! Annemarie and her friend, Ellen, are racing to school, and they get stopped by two Nazi soldiers. Annemarie’s mother, Annemarie, and Lise (Ellen) took a train to Gilleleje to visit Uncle Henrik. Annemarie’s mother tripped on a tree hedge and broke her ankle. Annemarie had to take a basket through a forest to Uncle Henrik, and she was stopped by four Nazi soldiers. Two soldiers had dogs with them.

I liked the book because the author wrote a lot of action in the book Number the Stars. My favorite part in the book was when Kirsti was forcing the cat to drink water. My favorite character was Kirsti because she was very stubborn in the book. Annemarie reminded me of myself when she went in the forest. It made me think about myself because she was brave going in the forest and I’m brave going up stairs with no light at all. One of the themes is bravery because Annemarie was walking in a forest, and she got stopped by the four Nazis with the two dogs. She had to be brave.

I recommend this book for students in 4th grade and up. I recommend it because 3rd graders might not understand the book. Kirsti might interest the readers because she can be really funny and very stubborn sometimes in the book Number the Stars.