Sweet Clara and The Freedom Quilt

Written by Deborah Hopkinson • Illustrated by James Ransome

Reviewed by Avery E. (age 8)

This story is called Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt. This book is about a girl named Clara who makes quilts. Clara was a slave in the South.

She heard about places and things she had never known about before. Then she made a special quilt, a map quilt. People told her about places and then she would add these places onto the quilt. When the quilt was finished, they used it as a map. Read on to find out if she goes to the North.

I like this book because Clara never gives up. She keeps working when it’s their free time. She works hard on the quilt.

I thought the book was very interesting. This book reminds me of Henry’s Freedom Box, because he goes to the North and a whole lot of people go to the North using the quilt Clara made.

One other thing I like about this book and why I picked it is because I really like African American history. I like when slaves try to go to the North.

I recommend this book to kids in first grade through fourth grade. Kids who like African American history should read this book.

Avery E. is a student in Mrs. Giammusso and Miss Kobb's 2nd/3rd Grade Class
2008-2009