1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Derek M. (age 10)

Number the Stars

Do you like books about happiness, sadness, and friendship? If you do, then this is the book for you! The people of Denmark are afraid of the Nazi soldiers, especially the Jewish people. The Danes want to help the Jewish people by helping them hide. Annemarie went to her uncle’s house to keep her Jewish friend, Ellen, safe.

Injustice was a main theme in Number the Stars because Germany took most of the food to feed their army. They also took all of the coffee, tea, cookies, and butter from the Danes. They wanted to kill the Jewish people because they didn’t like them. I loved this book because the author wrote realistically, like it could happen in real life. My favorite part was when Kirsti, Annemarie’s little sister, slapped the Nazi soldiers hand away. I wouldn’t do that, especially if they had guns! It was funny how she wasn’t afraid of them. My favorite character in this book was Kirsti. She was picky because she always wanted everything shiny and everything the way she wanted it. Kirsti reminds me of myself because I am stubborn and picky. I felt sad and scared at the same time in this book. It made me wonder if the Jewish people will ever come back to Denmark. Annemarie’s character changed in the story because at the beginning of the book she was carefree and at the end she cares about everything. I think this book is unique because it won a Newbery Award. This book is not like any other book I’ve read because it had a lot of suspense at the end of each chapter.

I highly recommend this book because it has a lot of suspense at the end of each chapter. I recommend this book to 4th grade and higher because younger students may not understand. I think you would like author’s writing skills!