1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Kasey H. (age 10)

Number the Stars

Do you like stories that are set during the time of World War II? Annemarie, a ten-year-old girl, is facing trouble with Nazi soldiers. Ellen and Annemarie are best friends, and Ellen is Jewish. Ellen has to pretend that she is Annemarie’s dead sister Lise. Then the trouble begins. They travel to different places to hide from Nazi soldiers, like at Uncle Henrik’s house with Mama and Annemarie’s little sister Kirsti.

A theme from Number the Stars is “bravery”. Annemarie was very brave in the story and smart. For example, Annemarie travels through the forest by herself even when soldiers are all around the forest. She also helps Mama when she is dangerously hurt. I love this book because it is exciting and surprising. My favorite part was when Annemarie had to act like Kirsti in the forest to fool the Nazi soldiers. My favorite characters were Kirsti, Annemarie, and Thor the kitten. Thor the kitten is funny because he drinks milk straight from the cow’s udder, and Thor fell into a bucket of milk. Annemarie and Ellen remind me of all my friends and I because we help each other, always protect each other, and we cheer each other up.

I strongly recommend this book to kids 10 years old and older because they would understand the story. Younger students may not understand. This is a wonderful book about World War II!