1 The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline

Reviewed by Tina T. (age 9)

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

One day, Edward, a china rabbit, was with Abilene. Then Edward got separated from Abilene, and then he was traveling from one person to another. A boy named Bryce found Edward as a scarecrow in a garden and took Edward to his sister, Sarah Ruth. He loved her very much. Then, Edward was given to a doll mender who kept him for a very long time. I think that the author was trying to tell kids to care about other people, rather than just caring about yourself because Edward only cared about himself in the beginning of the story. Then at the end, he cared about others.

I loved this book because Edward had a lot of emotions that changed. Edward was with a lot of people like Abilene, Bryce, and Sarah Ruth. Edward’s emotions changed during the story each time he was with other people. This book is not like anything I’ve read because it is a sad and happy story all together. This book made me feel sad. It made me wonder about how it felt to lose somebody that you love so much. This story makes me wonder of how it feels to be passed on from person to another, how it feels to lose someone you love so much, and how it feels to be treated poorly. My favorite part of this book was when Edward found an old friend again in the doll mender’s shop. I found Sarah Ruth’s character interesting because she was very ill and she didn’t have anyone around except for her brother, Bryce. The illustrations were wonderful. They look like they were colored with paint and pastels. The illustrations were colored gray, yellow, and all sorts of colors. The genre of this book is fantasy.

I recommend this book for kids that are 8 years old and older because it might make more sense for kids that are of this age. You might like the settings because Edward goes to many places, like the garbage dump, the ocean, and Egypt Street.