The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Written by Kate DiCamillo
Illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline

Reviewed by Marissa M. (age 10)

In the book The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane there is a china rabbit. He is very snobby and selfish. Edward (the china rabbit) lives with his owner, Abilene and her parents. Abilene was seven when she got Edward from her grandma. Watch as Edwardís life changes when he goes on the Queen Mary (a cruise boat).

This book has lots of themes. Iím going to talk about oneóchange. Edward changes a lot in the book, like his emotions, personality, characters, setting, his name, and clothes. I like this book because it is really fun and adventurous. The genre of this book is fantasy because china rabbits canít talk. The lesson to be learned is always love or something bad can happen.

My feelings go up and down. Sometimes Iím glad like when Abilene found Edward when the maid put him away, and also angry at different characters. My favorite part was when Abilene gave Edward the watch because Edward can tell when Abilene comes home. There were pictures at the beginning of every chapter. The pictures helped me figure out what was going to happen in the next chapter. The pictures left me hanging to read the next chapter. I love the illustrations because they were very detailed. This story is very suspenseful. I really didnít want to stop reading. I liked Abilene because I think she is sweet.

I love this book because Edward goes on a lot of Adventures. I recommend this book to kids that love adventures and also for fifth and fourth graders because it has some hard words.

Marissa M. is a student in Mrs. Bajczuk's 3rd Grade through 4th Grade Class
2008-2009