Henry and Mudge and the Sneaky Crackers

Written by Cynthia Rylant • Illustrated by Sucie Stevenson

Reviewed by Shane M. (age 8)

Do you want to read a book about adventures? Then this book will be a great book for you. There was a boy named Henry and his dog name is Mudge. One day they found a spy kit for sale. Henry bought it and then they became spies! And then they went to the street and Henry found a code. And it said ďwho are you?Ē Henry wrote a code and left it in some bricks to see if a spy will respond. Will one respond? Read the book to find out. I think the book is trying to tell us that itís ok to use your imagination and to be what you want to be. You just have to believe. And if you put some heart into it then maybe itís going to come true. It doesnít matter what it is you just have to believe.

My favorite part is when Mudge wagged his tail harder. He was ready to be a spy. He gave the magnifying glass a big wet lick. Thatís my favorite part because Mudge was excited and I like excitement. So thatís my favorite part. My favorite character is Mudge because I like dogs with excitement because theyíre playful and theyíre fun. Mudge likes to do different activities all the time, like me. I like to do different activities each day also. I want to do the same thing Henry and Mudge did. I want to be a spy! If I do the same thing I will have fun also and I like to have fun. Like spy on people and animals and friends in class. He is a funny character. I felt happy for Henry and Mudge because they finally became what they wanted to be. Because thatís one thing that they loved. The lesson I learned is it is ok to use your imagination wherever you want, and whenever you want. I think this book will be a great read for kids.

I recommend this to people that love adventure and spies. Because this book is about a kid named Henry and his dog named Mudge. I think this book will be a great read for kids because itís funny and creative. So I recommend to kids 4 years old through 8 years old.

Shane M. is a student in Amy's 2nd Grade Class
2008-2009