The Girl With 500 Middle Names

Written by Margaret P. Hoddix

Reviewed by Gisselle L. (age 9)

Janie is going to a very poor, run-down school. Everything is broken. Janieís mom wants her to go to a better school. Janie is poor. Her mom knits sweaters to sell. Her sweaters are sold in a specialty shop. The money goes for Janieís schooling. The shopkeeper can get his sweaters from Mexico cheaper. So he wants Janieís mom to take her sweaters back. Read the story to find out what happens to Janie and her mom.

I really liked this book. I liked reading about Janieís family. Janieís mom wanted her to go to a better school. They were poor and they worked hard to make things better. Janieís mom wanted the best for her daughter.

My favorite part is when Janieís mom made sweaters to sell. She reminds me of my mom. My mom works hard to make life easier for my brothers and me. Janieís mom made sweaters by hand to sell. My mom works hard with my Dad so I can go to a good school.

Janie reminds me of myself, When I had friends at my old school, I didnít want to go to another school. My dad found a job here. Thatís why I had to move. It was hard. Like Janie, I made new friends, too.

This book is in a series. Escape from Memory, Because of Anya, Takeoffs, Landings, Running out of Time, and Among the Barons, are books written by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

I recommend this book because I want people to see if they can have 500 middle names. I would like the 4th and 3rd graders to read it because itís a fun book. I bet they will like it very much. The interesting part is when she wore the sweaters with the names and everyone thought that they were her middle names. I liked the book and other people would like it too.

Gisselle L. is a student in Sister Janet's 4th Grade Class
2008-2009