1 The Girl With 500 Middle Names

The Girl With 500 Middle Names

Written by Margaret P. Hoddix

Reviewed by Gisselle L. (age 9)

The Girl With 500 Middle Names

Janie is going to a very poor, run-down school. Everything is broken. Janie’s mom wants her to go to a better school. Janie is poor. Her mom knits sweaters to sell. Her sweaters are sold in a specialty shop. The money goes for Janie’s schooling. The shopkeeper can get his sweaters from Mexico cheaper. So he wants Janie’s mom to take her sweaters back. Read the story to find out what happens to Janie and her mom.

I really liked this book. I liked reading about Janie’s family. Janie’s mom wanted her to go to a better school. They were poor and they worked hard to make things better. Janie’s mom wanted the best for her daughter.

My favorite part is when Janie’s mom made sweaters to sell. She reminds me of my mom. My mom works hard to make life easier for my brothers and me. Janie’s mom made sweaters by hand to sell. My mom works hard with my Dad so I can go to a good school.

Janie reminds me of myself, When I had friends at my old school, I didn’t want to go to another school. My dad found a job here. That’s why I had to move. It was hard. Like Janie, I made new friends, too.

This book is in a series. Escape from Memory, Because of Anya, Takeoffs, Landings, Running out of Time, and Among the Barons, are books written by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

I recommend this book because I want people to see if they can have 500 middle names. I would like the 4th and 3rd graders to read it because it’s a fun book. I bet they will like it very much. The interesting part is when she wore the sweaters with the names and everyone thought that they were her middle names. I liked the book and other people would like it too.