The Giving Tree

Written by Shel Silverstein • Illustrated by Shel Silverstein

Reviewed by Michelle A. (age 9)

This book is about a boy growing up. First, the boy was young and the boy and the tree were playing hide and go seek and playing king of the forest. The boy was also eating apples and swinging on the treeís branches. Next the boy grew older and time went by. The boy went away and the tree was left alone.

Then the boy asked the tree for some money but the tree didnít have any money to give away. So the tree gave him apples. After that, the boy came back and the boy wanted a house. So the tree gave the boy her branches. Then the boy wanted a boat and the tree said to cut off her trunk and build a boat. Finally, the boy is a very skinny old man with a bent back, and he wanted a quiet place to sit and the tree was very happy because the boy sat on her trunk.

In the beginning I was so happy when the boy and the tree were always playing around with each other. Then the boy grew older and he really tortured the tree. A lesson in the book is to not take advantage of your friends, your family, or the trees! My favorite part of the book was when the boy and the tree were playing with each other because it made me happy. I liked the book because they were playing a lot of games in the beginning.

I will recommend this to my best friend named Justice, but I really call her Justy, because she will really love this book, but she will also be really sad in the middle of this book. I think young people will love this book.

Michelle A. is a member in Page Turners After School Program / Rauschenbusch Center's Page Turners' Book Club (2007-2008)