1 Muggie Maggie

Muggie Maggie

Written by Beverly Cleary

Illustrated by Alan Tiegreen

Reviewed by S.M. (age 9)

Muggie Maggie

Muggie Maggie by Beverly Cleary was a hilarious story about a little girl in third grade that didn't know how to write cursive. One day Maggie had her first day of school. She sat with her friend Jo Ann. When it was her stop she said bye to Jo Ann. Maggie was happy to escape from sixth grade boys that were mean to her. Her dog, Kisser, wanted her to play outside. She asked her dad if she got a present from Ms. Madden and he said no. She could not do cursive writing. She thought she was going to get a present from someone. She thought she got a present from Ms. Madden. Her dad said ''you have a present from Ms. Madden.'' She ran to her dad and said thank you. She was very happy she got something. Maggie made a letter and it was a thank you note. It said, "Dear Ms. Madden, thank you for the pen. I like it. She signed it "Love, Maggie." Could Maggie do cursive again and could read it? You can found out by reading Muggie Maggie.

Muggie Maggie is a fantastic book! Maggie reminds me of myself. I was also nervous about writing in cursive. I thought that I would never be able to write in cursive. But, I was wrong just like Maggie. This book teaches you an important lesson. It shows you that if you put your mind to something and practice hard you can overcome any problem. Maggie practiced her cursive at home so she could show her teacher that she could write in cursive. My favorite part was when Maggie finally found out she was able to write in cursive. I loved this part because it reminded me of the time when I found out I could do cursive writing. Muggie Maggie is a wonderful book to read!

I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading Beverly Cleary books and people who like to read about overcoming problems. Beverly Cleary makes you feel as if you are the one actually overcoming the problem of writing cursive.