1 The Austere Academy

The Austere Academy

Written by Lemony Snicket

Illustrated by Brett Helquist

Reviewed by Terrel K. (age 9)

The Austere Academy

This book about three young orphans, Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire. When their parents perished in a fire, they left behind and enormous fortune. Their relative, Count Olaf always tries to steal their fortune. They move on from guardian to guardian because Count Olaf tries to wisk them off somewhere far, far away until they come of age and he can steal their fortune. In this book, unforutnately, they go to boarding school. There is a mean girl named Carmelita Spats and she starts a chant that goes, "cake sniffing orphans in the orphan's shack". Count Olaf disguised himself as coach Gengis. The lesson in this story is don't talk to strangers.

I liked this book because I like scary mystery books. My favorite character is Klaus. He is like me because we both like to read a lot. My favorite part is when they have to do special orphan's running exercises, (SORE). I like that part because they have to drag stuff with them to make it harder. It is really surprising. The author sometimes explains or describes words he uses right after he uses them. I like that. He uses interesting vocabulary. This book is part the series "The Series of Unfortunate Events".

I recommend these books to third grade and up. There is also a movie to these books. Will Count Olaf get their fortune in the series? Read the series to find out.