1 Smile

Smile

Written by Raina Telgemeier

Illustrated by Stephanie Yue

Reviewed by Mia N. (age 9)

Smile

AAAAHHHH! My tooth!! Life was hard for Raina because she didn’t want braces. Read about her in the book Smile by Raina Telgemeier.

To begin with, this story was about a girl name Raina and her family. She has a very hard life at the dentist because they tell her she needs braces. Raina had her two front teeth not growing out after she fell down on them. She gets braces and they are very hard. She has to have them taken off and put back on more than once. Not everyone is nice to her with her braces. She can’t eat everything she wants like when they went to the movie and they got some popcorn and when Raina smelled the popcorn she knew it would be amazing but she couldn’t have it.

My favorite part was when Raina went to the school dance and took a photo with her friends. This was my favorite part because she was nervous about taking a picture with her braces. My favorite character was Amara, Raina’s sister. I thought she was funny because she teases Raina a lot because Raina was getting metal in her mouth. Raina reminds me of my brother. My brother has braces like Raina and he doesn’t really like them.

In conclusion, this book is good for girls seven to ten. Even if you don’t like the dentist like me, you will still like this book!