1 The Boxcar Children: Mystery Behind the Wall

The Boxcar Children: Mystery Behind the Wall

Written by Gertrude Chandler Warner

Illustrated by David Cunningham

Reviewed by Jake F. (age 8)

The Boxcar Children:  Mystery Behind the Wall

In Mystery Behind the Wall by Gertrude Chandler Warner, Benny and Rory find a journal in a wall that was written by Stephanie Shaw. She wrote "go to 5 Birds Lane". They go there and meet Mrs. Wren and Jenny Wren. Mrs. Wren gives them the next clue that tells them to go to their house’s attic. But it turns out that Mrs. Wren has the next clue and it tells them a secret message. But no one knows what it means until Benny figures out what it means. It means look in a clock in their house’s attic. They look in the chimney and find a note pinned to the inside of a grandfather clock that says "This is the end. Look on the back of the house, but don't break the glass." But no one knows what it meant. Read the book to find out where they find the missing coin collection.

Mystery Behind the Wall is a very interesting book! I like the book because the characters teach a lesson to kids about not giving up. They found a clue that didn't make any sense and they never gave up finding out what the clue meant. Then they eventually found out what the clue meant. I like the mystery because it is interesting. The mystery was that they needed to find the lost coin collection. Also, the plot is very detailed because the clues are told very detailed. The clues are: "Go to 5 Birds Lane", "Go to the attic and look in the dollhouse", "Look in the grandfather clock in the chimney", and "Look on the back of the house, but don't break the glass".

I would recommend this book to older elementary students who like mysteries because it is interesting and good. Also, the book teaches readers to never give up. Lastly, the book can also teach kids to overcome their fear of looking into dangerous places. You should really go out and get this book to find out where they find the missing coin collection.