1 The Familiars

The Familiars

Written by Adam Jay Epstien

Reviewed by Noelle M. (age 8)

The Familiars

Abracadabra! Join Aldwyn, Skylar, and Gilbert in the magical adventure of The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein.

To begin with, Aldwyn is just a regular alley cat with a hunger for adventure… and fish. He stumbles upon a magic pet shop (a.k.a. a hiding spot) while being chased by Grimslade the bounty hunter. Aldwyn pretends to be a magical familiar so he will not get in trouble from stealing a fish. Suddenly, a young wizard named Jack comes into the store and chooses Aldwyn as a familiar even though he has no magical talent.

In addition, my favorite part of this book is when Jack comes across a magical lizard while browsing around. Jack got shrunken down to the gecko’s size, and rode around until the magic wore off. Aldwyn just stood there in disbelief, and could not believe his eyes! I also liked the part when Aldwyn found out something about himself that he never knew because it was an exciting part of the story. Finally, I thought this book was especially good because it had magical characters. I think this was great because they had a lot of interesting magical terms and ideas that made it fun to read.

In conclusion, The Familiars is a great book for all ages. Trust me, reading it makes you feel like you are magical!