1 Holes

Holes

Written by Louis Sachar

Reviewed by Matt V (age 12)

This Book is about Stanley Yelnats who was convicted by a judge of stealing a pair of running shoes from a famous baseball player. As a punishment, Stanley is sent to Green Lake Camp. He has to dig a hole 5 feet wide and 5 feet deep everyday for the rest of his time at Green Lake Camp. Stanley meets a friend named Zero and a whole bunch of other people at Green Lake Camp. They help him get used to the digging of the holes, because it is tough labour!

Zero runs away and escapes from the camp, so it is up to Stanley to find Zero and get out of the hot and dry hole digging lake of torture.

My favorite part of the book is when Stanley has to dig his hole on the first day that he is on site. He is so fat and out of shape that digging a hole is really hard. He takes a long time to dig his first hole.

I thought that this book was the best book that I have read in the whole year. It has lots of funny parts that left me laughing. It is classified as a fiction book because it didn't really happen but if there was such a thing as Green Lake Camp it would be an awesome adventure.

I thought this book made me think of my inner self. I thought that Stanley shared a lot of the same feelings that I do, like having torture. The story will have an effect on all the people that read the book because it might get them to think of their inner selves (feelings that you don't usually share with others).

The book tells you about some events that happened way before Camp Green Lake was there. You wonder if things from the past are affecting the events of the story.

I would recommend this book because it is hilarious. It also has an element of suspense and mystery, because it gives you some information about Green Lake Camp before the desert happened (which is kind of spooky!) and also has something about some other characters that were there before there was such thing as the camp. More mystery!